Henry Hawley joined the museum in 1960 as the first curator of decorative arts. Born January 3, 1934 in Dallas, TX, he earned his bachelor’s degree from Stanford University in 1955 and a Master’s degree from Harvard three years later. He received an additional Master’s degree from the University of Delaware after two years as a Winterthur Fellow (1958-1960). He spent his entire career at CMA, serving in positions of increasing responsibility for over 42 years.
An accomplished scholar, Mr. Hawley organized important exhibitions including Bugatti (1999), Fabergé in America (1997), and Comfortably Seated (1986). During his long career he published over 70 works including Neo-Classicism: Style and Motif (1964), Fabergé and His Contemporaries (1967), and catalogs for Bugatti and Glass.
A member of the Decorative Arts Society, Hawley received the Robert G. Smith Award in 1978 and served as the organization’s vice president from 1974-1976. He was also executive editor of Cleveland Studies in the History of Art beginning in 1994 and was adjunct professor in the CMA-CWRU joint program in art history since its inception in 1967.