Cleveland Museum of Art construction records for the 1958 building

Summary Information

Repository: Cleveland Museum of Art Archives
Title: Cleveland Museum of Art construction records for the 1958 Building.
ID: 1111.065
Date [bulk] 1956-1958
Date [inclusive] 1951-1962
Extent: 5.0 Cubic feet  [11 boxes, 4 century albums, 2 drawers of architectural drawings]
Language: English

Return to Table of Contents »


Biographical/Historical note

The 1958 wing of the Cleveland Museum of Art, represents the museum's first capital expansion. By 1950, after thirty-four years in the original 1916 building of the museum, the collections and staff needed more space. The museum hired the architectural firm of Hays & Ruth (originally Conrad, Hays, Simpson & Ruth) in 1951 to design a new wing for the museum. Architect J. Byers Hays was responsible for the design of the building, which connected to the 1916 building on the north side of the museum. The floor plan added additional gallery space, workspace, a new library, and created a courtyard bordered by the new building and the 1916 building. The Sam W. Emerson Company was hired as the contractor in 1953, with ground broken for the building in 1955. The building process was overseen by director William M. Milliken, president of the board of trustees Harold T. Clark, and associate director Sherman E. Lee, who served as the museum's representative to the architects. The construction ended up being more difficult and expensive than anticipated, and two of the museum's founding trusts, John Huntington Art and Polytechnic Trust and the Horace Kelley Art Foundation agreed to alter their agreements to the museum so that money earmarked toward acquisitions could be used for the construction process. The museum even had to close beginning in April 1957, so that the construction could be finished. The new wing was dedicated with great fanfare in March 1958, and the museum reopened to the public.

Return to Table of Contents »


Scope and Contents note

The collection of materials was artificially brought together from materials gathered by Harold T. Clark, the buildings and grounds department, the director's office, and possibly other departments as well. Over time the original provenance and order of the of the records was lost. Clark stored many of the records in his office in downtown Cleveland, possibly because the museum was closed and had no where else to keep them, not necessarily because he was the records creator. These records were transferred to the museum over a period of several years in the 1960s. The origin of the rest of the records is not clear, though some of correspondence is with buildings and ground staff, Milliken, and Lee. It is possible the records were kept in a central location and shared across departments. Given their uncertain history, the materials were compiled together into two series: administrative records and photographs. Blueprints which were folded up in the administrative records were removed and transferred to the design department, where they were added to an already existing collection of blueprints from the 1958 addition.

The administrative records, organized alphabetically by record type, form the largest part of the collection. The records mainly focus on the building process itself, including specifications, construction reports, change orders, and certificates for payment. The correspondence, most of which is organized chronologically, details the hiring of the architect and contractor and the process of designing the new building and altering portions of the 1916 building. The correspondence also contains numerous proposals from subcontractors and billing information. Subcontracts, invoices, and statements for the subcontractors are located in the subcontractors' files. Beyond the building process the records include information about fundraising efforts and the new wing's dedication. Photographs [View Box List] provide a pictorial history of the construction process, through photographs taken by the contractor and by the museum. They also document the ground-breaking ceremony, cornerstone laying, and the dedication. The photographs are organized by topic in century albums.

Return to Table of Contents »


Administrative Information

Publication Information

Ingalls Library and Museum Archives

11150 East Blvd.
Cleveland, OH, 44106
216-707-2492
archives2@clevelandart.org

Conditions Governing Access note

Subject to review by archives staff. For more information or to access this collection contact archives staff at archives2@clevelandart.org.

Return to Table of Contents »


Controlled Access Headings

Personal Name(s)

  • Hays, J. Byers, 1891-1968

Subject(s)

  • Art museum architecture -- Ohio -- Cleveland -- Designs and plans.
  • Art museums -- Ohio -- Cleveland -- Design and construction.
  • Art museums -- Ohio -- Cleveland -- Planning.
  • Cleveland Museum of Art.
  • Hays & Ruth

Return to Table of Contents »


Collection Inventory

 Cleveland Museum of Art. Hays & Ruth. Hays, J. Byers, 1891-1968 Administrative Records 

Scope and Contents note

The collection of materials was artificially brought together from materials gathered by Harold T. Clark, the buildings and grounds department, the director’s office, and possibly other departments as well. The records mainly focus on the building process itself, including specifications, construction reports, change orders, and certificates for payment. The correspondence details the hiring of the architect and contractor and the process of designing the new building and altering portions of the 1916 building. The correspondence also contains numerous proposals from subcontractors and billing information. Beyond the building process the records include information about fundraising efforts and the new wing’s dedication. Photographs provide a pictorial history of the construction process, through photographs taken by the contractor and by the museum. They also document the ground-breaking ceremony, cornerstone laying, and the dedication.

Conditions Governing Access note

Subject to review by archives staff.

Controlled Access Headings

Subject(s)

  • Architecture -- Ohio -- Cleveland
BoxFolder

Agreements with Architect [Hays & Ruth] and Contractor [Sam W. Emerson Company] 1951-1953 

11

Agreements with John Huntington Art and Polytechnic Trust and the Horace Kelley Art Foundation 1955 

12

Architect's Resume 

13

Cancelled Checks 1953-1954 

14

Certificates for Payment (with related correspondence) - Bauer Surveys Company 1955 

15

Certificates for Payment (with related correspondence) - Alterations to Existing Building 1956-1958 

16

Certificates for Payment (with related correspondence) - New Addition, 1954 - June 1956 1954-1956 

17

Certificates for Payment (with related correspondence) - New Addition, July 1956 - July 1957 1956-1957 

18

Certificates for Payment (with related correspondence) - New Addition, Aug 1957 - 1958 1957-1958 

19

Certificates for Payment (with related correspondence) / Change Orders - Miscellaneous (folder 1) 

110

Certificates for Payment (with related correspondence) / Change Orders - Miscellaneous (folder 2) 

21

Changes Orders - Alterations to Existing Building, 1956 - March 1957 1956-1957 

22

Changes Orders - Alterations to Existing Building, April-Aug 1957 1957 

23

Changes Orders - Alterations to Existing Building, Sept. 1957 - 1958 1957-1958 

24

Changes Orders - New Addition, 1955 - Nov. 1956 1955-1956 

25

Changes Orders - New Addition, Dec. 1956 - April 1957 1956-1957 

26

Changes Orders - New Addition, May-July 1957 1957 

27

Change Orders - New Addition, Aug-Dec. 1957 1957 

31

Change Orders 1958 

32

Check Lists 1957-1958 

33

City and State Code Requirements 1953-1954 

34

Construction Reports No.1-16 [Roof] 1953 

35

Construction Reports May-Aug. 1955 

36

Construction Reports Sept.-Dec. 1955 

37

Construction Reports Jan-March 1956 

38

Construction Reports April-June 1956 

41

Construction Reports July-Aug. 1956 

42

Construction Reports Sept.-Oct. 1956 

43

Construction Reports Nov.-Dec. 1956 

44

Construction Reports Jan.-Feb. 1957 

45

Construction Reports March-April 1957 

46

Construction Reports May-June 1957 

47

Construction Reports July-Aug 1957 

51

Construction Reports Sept.-Oct. 1957 

52

Construction Reports Nov.-Dec. 1957 

53

Contractor's Itemized Bills 1956-1958 

54

Contractor's Payroll Sheets [sample] Aug. 1956 

55

Contractor's Rental Reports 1955-1958 

56

Cornerstone Laying 1956 

57

Correspondence - General 1950-1953 

58

Correspondence - General 1954 

59

Correspondence - General 1955 

510

Correspondence - General Jan.-March 1956 

61

Correspondence - General April-July 1956 

62

Correspondence - General Aug.-Dec. 1956 

63

Correspondence - General 1957 

64

Correspondence - General 1958-1961 

65

Correspondence - Fundraising 1953-1955 

66

Correspondence - Lighting 1952-1957 

67

Correspondence - Interior Court [Outdoor Garden Court] 1955-1956 

68

Correspondence - Parking 1953-1957 

69

Correspondence - Watermain 1954-1955 

610

Cost Estimates and Appraisals 1953-1958 

611

Dedication [1] 1957-1958 

71

Dedication [2] 1957-1958 

72

Decorating Schedule 1956 

73

Decorating Schedule 1957 

74

Field Orders 1956-1958 

75

Floor Plans and Model 

76

Interdepartmental Memoranda 1954-1958 

77

Lists of Architectural Drawings 1958 and n.d. 

78

Lists of Subcontractors 1956-1957 

79

Minutes of Planning Meetings 1953-1954 

710

Minutes of Construction Meetings 1955-1956 

711

Minutes of Construction Meetings 1957-1958 

81

Moving Lists 1956-1957 

82

Security 1955 

83

Shop Orders and Approvals 1951-1956 

84

Specifications [Book 1], Nos. 1-9, 32, and addenda 

85

Specifications [Book 1], Nos. Nos. 10-19 

86

Specifications [Book 1], Nos. 20-31 

87

Specifications [Book 2], Nos. 1-9, 32, and addenda 

88

Specifications [Book 2], Nos. 10-19 

89

Specifications [Book 2], Nos. 20-31 

91

Subcontractors, general 1957-1958 

92

Subcontractors, Garth Andrew (Furnishing, Interior Decorating) 1957-1958 

93

Subcontractors, American Seating (Auditorium Seating) 1957 

94

Subcontractors, F.R. Arend (Painting) 1955-1958 

95

Subcontractors, Armstrong Clark Asbestos (Asbestos Insulation) 1955-1958 

96

Subcontractors, C. Berg Electric 1955 

97

Subcontractors, Burger Iron, Mak Construction (Structural Steel) 1955-1956 

98

Subcontractors, Century Glass (Glass and Glazing) 1956-1958 

99

Subcontractors, Cleveland Electric Illuminating Company 1956 

910

Subcontractors, Cornell Iron Works (Grilles and Rolling Shutters) 1955-1957 

911

Subcontractors, Deer Island Granite Products, Great Lakes Granite Distributing (Granite) 1956 

912

Subcontractors, Denby Wire and Iron (Wire Mesh Partitions and Painting Storage Screens) 1956 

913

Subcontractors, Dingle-Clark (Electrical) 1955-1958 

914

Subcontractors, Flour City Ornamental (Grilles, Metal Doors, and Windows) 1955-1956 

915

Subcontractors, Flour City Ornamental (Grilles, Metal Doors, and Windows) 1957-1958 

916

Subcontractors, Mahony Fraser Construction (Paving) James Fusco & Son (Sidewalks), Cleveland Quarries (Curbing and Flagging) 1955-1957 

917

Subcontractors, Gellin Company (Terrazzo Floors) 1956-1957 

918

Subcontractors, E.F. Hauserman (Metal Office Partitions), Jamestown Metal (Hollow Metalwork) 1957 

919

Subcontractors, James H. Herron (Testing and Inspection) 1955-1957 

920

Subcontractors, Interior Marble & Tile (Marble, Tile, Terrazzo, and Crab Orchard Stone) 1956-1958 

101

Subcontractors, Jennison-Wright (Wood-block Floors), Meltzer-Crozier Flooring Co. (Cork and Wood Floors) 1956-1958 

102

Subcontractors, Johns- Manville (Acoustical Insulation), Alton Company (Thermal Insulation) 1956-1957 

103

Subcontractors, Kassouf Company (Sewer) 1955-1956 

104

Subcontractors, A.H. Marty (Steel Stairs), Interior Steel Equipment (Steel Shelving) 1955-1957 

105

Subcontractors, Monarch Equipment (Kitchen Equipment) 1956-1957 

106

Subcontractors, Ohio Spray Painting (Interior Damp Proofing) 1956-1957 

107

Subcontractors, Paterson-Leitch (Metalwork, Reinforcing Steel) 1955-1957 

108

Subcontractors, Robert H. Pelkey (Caulking) 1956 

109

Subcontractors, Riester & Thesmacher (Sheet Metal Work) 1955-1957 

1010

Subcontractors, H.H. Robertson, Standard Roofing (Roofing) 1955-1957 

1011

Subcontractors, Rowe & Giles Lumber and Millwork Co. (Millwork) 1956-1957 

1012

Subcontractors, Smith & Oby (Air Conditioning, Heating, and Plumbing) 1955-1956 

1013

Subcontractors, Smith & Oby (Air Conditioning, Heating, and Plumbing) 1957-1958 

1014

Subcontractors, Springer & Morrison (Metal Toilet Partitions) 1956 

1015

Subcontractors, William Strong, Charles Irish (Landscaping) 1956-1958 

1016

Subcontractors, Wellman Products (Bronze Lettering) 1956-1958 

1017

Subcontractors, Westinghouse (Elevators) 1953-1958 

1018

Subcontractors, George Worthington (Finish Hardware) 1955-1957 

1019

Subcontractors, George Worthington (Finish Hardware) 1962 

1020
Box

Special Invitation List, Dedication events March, 1958 

15

Return to Table of Contents »


Photographs 

BoxFolder

Floorplans 

111

Contractor's Photographs 

112

CMA Construction Photographs 

121

CMA Construction Photographs 

131

Interior Construction Photographs 

132

Groundbreaking May 14, 1955 

141

Cornerstone Laying July 14, 1956 

142

Dedication March 4, 1958 

143

Return to Table of Contents »


Architectural Drawings 

Scope and Contents note

The architectural drawings that are relevant to the construction of the 1958 building were transferred to the architectural drawings collection. For more information on these drawings please contact archives staff. Restrictions to access may apply.

Drawer
11-12

Return to Table of Contents »