The print collection of Göttweig Monastery is Austria’s largest private collection of historical graphic art. The collection of prints at Göttweig Monastery, which itself was founded in 1083, is based on acquisitions made by various monks since the 15th century. The first report of graphic art kept in the monastery dates back to 1621, with an archive record that mentions a number of “tablets of copper engraving” The actual act of founding the collection is attributed to Abbot Gottfried Bessel whose systematic purchases in Austria and from abroad added a total of 20,000 pieces to the collection. Reaching to the present day, the print collection at Göttweig Monastery has grown to be the largest private collection of historical graphic art in Austria with more than 30,000 examples. For academic purposes, all of the database’s assets may be used free of charge and are also employed in the department’s teaching. A fee is requested only for commercial uses of high-resolution images as well as for reproduction licenses.
Graphische Sammlung Stift Göttweig
Online Archives & Web Resources