Cleveland industrialist John Long Severance (1863-1936) had a profound influence on the establishment and growth of the Cleveland. Through the generosity of Mr. and Mrs. Severance visitors have been enthralled with the great armor court since the museum opened its doors in 1916. He left his personal art collection to the museum following his death. In addition to his donations of works of art he made generous donations to the museum library, ensuring its place as one of the nation's leading art historical research centers. This collection consists of four bound books of photographs and descriptions of objects in the John Long Severance Collection. Some descriptions include provenance information.
Digitized copies of the books may be accessed via the Internet Archive: