Sherman Emery Lee Personal Papers (Box List)
Description: This is a small collection of personal papers given to the archives by Dr. Lee's daughter, Katharine Reid. It consists primarily of clippings, travel journals, photographs, and audio tapes. The collection is arranged alphabetically by subject. Dr. Lee donated the substance of his personal papers to the Archives of American Art in 1996. The Arts and Monuments Division reports on private collections in Japan were transferred from the Library in April, 2007 (see box 5).
Series 1: Personal Papers
- American University, Washington, D.C., yearbook, 1936 [Sherman E. Lee]
- American University, Washington, D.C., yearbook, 1936 [Ruth Ward Lee]
- American University, Washington, D.C., yearbook, 1937
- American University, Washington, D.C., yearbook, 1938
- Awards, honors, and medals, 1960s-1990s
- Central High School, Washington, D.C., yearbook, 1933 [Ruth Ward Lee]
- Chinese language and history study material
- Clippings, 1970s-1990s
- Clipping scrapbook, 1990s
- Correspondence, 1945, 1982-1983
- Correspondence with Elizabeth Knight, Orientations Magazine, 1988-2005
- Correspondence from Junkichi Mayuyama, 1993
- Ephemera - family related
- Ephemera - miscellaneous
- Journal, [no attribution] n.d.
- Reminiscences - Arts and Monuments Division, Civil Information and Education Section, General Headquarters, Supreme Allied Command, Tokyo, 1947-1949
- Travel journal - Egypt and Greece, n.d.
- Travel journal - Europe, 1959
- Travel journal - Italy and France, n.d.
- Travel journal - Japan, n.d.
- Western High School, Washington, D.C., yearbook, 1934
- Civil Information and Education Section, Arts and Monuments Division, 1946-1948: Draft reports on inspections of private collections, Japan
- Civil Information and Education Section, Arts and Monuments Division, 1946-1948: Private Collectors, Japan
- Civil Information and Education Section, Arts and Monuments Division, 1946-1948: Lists of National Treasures and Important Art Objects in Private Collections, Japan
Series 2: Photographs
- Family photographs
- Family photographs
- Portraits, individual and group
- Social events
- Ripplestone - home of Severance and Greta Millikin, 1985
- Travel, general
- Travel, Cornwall, n.d.
- Travel, Japan, 1991, 1992
- Travel, Jerusalem, 1984
- Negatives [not associated with photographic prints]
Series 3: Oversize Materials
- National Order of the Legion of Honor, 9 December 1966 [not found March 1, 2004]
- Oversize family portrait
- Oversize portrait of Katharine Lee Reid
- Honorary Doctor of Letters, University of North Carolina
- Town and Country Magazine, February 1960 [not found March 1, 2004]
- Scrapbooks, ca. 1941-1990 [in 8-2-3]
Series 4: Audio Tapes
- audio tapes of classroom lectures are stored in a box with the collection. The quality of the tapes is very poor. There are no plans to enhance the quality.